Acne vulgaris onset from increased size of pilosebaceous glands and sebum secretion by androgenic stimulation. Severity depends on hormones, keratinization, sebum, and bacteria.
Above picture shows open comedones (blackheads), as well as closed comedones with inflammation (red papiles), and without inflammation (whiteheads)
“Acne is one of the most troubling problems many people encounter from adolescence to adulthood. Its effects on a person's psyche and wellbeing is profound”
Below you will find some NATURAL approaches to healing Acne
- Diet: recommend high protein diet (45% protein, 35% carbs, 20% fat), low fat foods, limit foods high in iodine (e.g. seaweed) and milk products (high hormone content).
- Sugar: acne sufferers have shown to have impaired skin glucose intolerance (skin diabetes yes), so taking chromium supplements, or brewer's yeast, might help. (Brewer's yeast 1tbsp twice a day
- Vitamin A: retinol reduces oil/sebum production. So eat foods high in Vitamin A such as orange and yellow veges/ fruits. (100,000 IU once a day for three months). Yes, high does is needed so be careful and monitor side effects
- Zinc: vital to acne treatment. Zinc helps bind retinol and helps the acne. Zinc picolinate, acetate, or monomethionine are better forms of zinc to take. (50mg per day)
- Vitamin E, C, and Selenium: Glutathioine peroxidase, a natural antioxidant, have been found to be low in males with acne. Using Vit. E, Vit. C, and Selenium boosts this antioxidant and helps pus formation. (Vit. E 400 IU per day, Vit. C 1000mg per day, selenium 200ug per day)
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): women with acne esp premenstrual acne lacks B6
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): using creams of pantothenic reduces worsening of acne
- Tea Tree Oil: disinfectant against bacteria that causes acne (5-15% solution)
- Azelaic acid: antibiotic against bacteria P. acnes (20% solution)
- UV lamp or sun: not too long, be careful of sunburn
- Clean the face daily with calendula soap
- High copper/zinc ratio: this has been found in people suffering from acnes. Copper are used as pipes in many houses and can be toxic over time. Think about changing pipes for overall health or avoid copper in daily life